Thursday, November 9, 2017

Becoming a Leafcutter Ant

Everyday her imagination grows.
About 3 days a week, Sweet Pea has "Quiet Time" instead of nap time, which has helped her mind grow so much in terms of imagination and learning how to play by herself.
I think having this Quiet Time has helped her in being able to role play more often, which is exactly what happened this afternoon as we pretended to be Leafcutter Ants from our Rainforest unit with Mother Goose Time.


Since it's just me and my girl, we don't do the Community Challenge without some modification. 
Today, it was me, a 34 week pregnant momma, crawling on the floor with my girl pretending to be a Leafcutter Ant.  My back is now paying the price, but it was totally worth it for the memories. <3
I let her be the leader and we discussed how ants usually travel in a line.  We took some of our leaves we used from last month's weather unit and crawl to a designated spot to build our nest.  
When I took a much needed break, my girl continued to be a Leafcutter Ant and I caught her on video:


She absolutely LOVED pretending to be a Leafcutter Ant!
We started our day with this role playing game, and she ended her day playing this game with Daddy.

After taking a much needed break (for momma), she began our Make and Play craft: creating an ant.
However, we still are waiting for the paint to dry to finish making him. 
Then she can make her new toy role play moving leaves from one place to the other!  
She's going to love it!


While the paint dried, we made some fingerprint ants on the cover of her My Little Journal. 
The fingerprint is the body, then a circle is drawn for the head and 2 lines for the antenna.
I love her drawings.

 

Time to be Leafcutter ants again!
This time I encouraged her to bring her leaves to the lightbox to make her nest.
Once she finished that, we dug out some ants from our bin of manipulatives from Mother Goose Time and played with them and the leaves.



I recently became an Usborne consultant, and purchased the shine-a-light book, 
It is the absolute most PERFECT book to go along with this unit from Mother Goose Time.
We found the page about Leafcutter ants and counted them using our flashlight.


Time to be Leafcutter ants again!
Daddy came home and the first thing out of Sweet Pea's mouth was:
"Hi Daddy! Wanna play leafcutter ant game with me?"
How could he resist?


They built their nest underneath the coffee table.
She's the leader again, naturally.
I love when he gets to participate in the learning adventure with us.


Be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest for more learning fun!







No comments:

Post a Comment